Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sepia Tones



YOU WILL NEED:

* Paint Shop Pro or similar. I used PSPX but you should be able to make this tag in other versions.

* Black and white tube of choice. I am using the stunning artwork of Abranda Icle Sisson. You need a license to use her art which you can purchase from Muddvision Studios. The tube I am using is called Roses for Katherine.

* Texture filter of choice. I am using Xero Tekstya which you can download from HERE.

* Text filter of choice. I am using Super Blade Pro with a glass preset. You can substitute Eyecandy Glass or an inner bevel if you don't have this filter.

* Font of choice - I used Handscript SF HERE

* Bent Photo frame by Melissa of Sentimental Style. You can check out her blog HERE. Download the frame HERE.


LETS START!

1. Set up your supplies ready for use.

2. Open a new image 500 x 500 with a white background. Copy and paste your tube and Melissa's frame to the canvas. Resize and sharpen the tube if necessary (I resized to 70%).

3. Close off the frame layer for the moment. Activate the tube layer (if you are using the same tube I am, I carefully erased the disk behind her head) and apply Effects - Photo Effects - Sepia Toning. The settings I used are given below but experiment and find something you like.




4. Activate your freehand selection tool and using the following settings, trace around the sections of your tube that you want to colour. With this type of art, less is more so pick an accent you want to stand out. Select all the areas for one colour at a time ie I did all the leaves in one hit, then coloured them, then selected the roses, then coloured. Use Adjust - Hue and Saturation - Colorize to colour the areas you have selected. The settings I used are given as an example below (green = hue 75), but experiment and find a colour you like.






5. Position your tube and frame on your canvas. When satisfied, duplicate your tube and place one tube layer above and one below the frame. On the bottom tube layer, apply Gaussian Blur at the following settings -




6. Activate your background layer and add a new raster layer. Activate your frame layer again and using your magic wand, click inside the frame. Selection - Modify - expand by 6. Flood fill on the new raster layer with a complimentary colour from your tube (I used #eae4e4) and select none. Apply Tekstya at the following settings -




7. Lower the opacity of the Tekstya layer to 60%. Activate your top tube layer. Select your text tool and write your name using a complimentary colour from your tube (I used #c1b0b1 for foreground and background). Position and duplicate your text. Apply Gaussian blur to the bottom text layer but adjust the radius to 12. Apply your text filter to the top text layer. My settings are below -






8. Add drop shadow to the top text layer at the settings shown below. Use a dark colour from your tube for the shadow (I used #4b4239).




9. Add copyright information and your watermark. Crop excess white space from your canvas. Save as a jpeg and you are done. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment